The Fernández y Contreras Mansion is located opposed the granary and adjoins the town hall arch that leads to the square.
This family was related to the Ramírez de Arellanos from Villaescusa de Haro, a branch that produced several bishops, all born in that town.
The building has a 16th-century facade, a rectangular floor plan and a central impluvium-courtyard. According to various records, Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga (author of the epic poem La Araucana, translated into English as The Araucaniad) lived in the house from 1574 to 1577 while preparing to take his vows as a knight of the Order of Santiago. Today the building houses a hotel and restaurant.
The Fernández y Contreras coat-of-arms presides over the main entrance. Half of it represents Fernández (with the unusual feature of an inverted tower) and half Contreras (blue and silver pales).